It's the second month of the new decade and the general pace of life has slowed down dramatically. My team has decided to transition to work-from-home due to the COVID-19 outbreak, so I haven't needed to partake in the daily morning and evening rushes for a while. It hasn't been without its downsides though.
I ended up cancelling my trip to Tokyo due to the outbreak. It was a last-minute decision made only a few hours before the flight, but I felt that the trip wasn't worth the risk and the additional worry it would impose on my parents. Originally, I also had a school trip planned in March, but I've also decided to cancel that as it was non-essential. Despite not having been infected or quarantined, this epidemic has already made a large impact on me. Social media is also flooded with posts about it, as sort of a constant reminder of what could have been.
On the upside, I've been able to spend a lot more time with my family which I'm extremely grateful for. I haven't hung out with them in a while and I've taken this opportunity to do just that. I've also managed to get in more exercise and sleep during the time I'm usually commuting, so that's been a great boost to my energy levels and health as well.
In other news,
- Released the Taskade Web Clipper! It was not without some mishaps along the way, but we managed to pull through and get it out to our users.
- Pass the Final Theory Test for driving. One step closer to getting my driving license! I've been quite lazy and haven't booked any practical lessons yet though...
- Met with a childhood friend whom I haven't seen in at least 8 years; he had migrated to Australia. It was an interesting experience, like meeting an almost-stranger.
- Went climbing for the first time in a while. I really love the sport — being able to carry my own body weight up a wall is quite the enchanting activity.
Looking towards the future,
- Continuing my work at Taskade. I've built up a good understanding of the system and will be able to contribute greatly new features and improvements.
- Hopefully we'll get started on our first major project over at Triomic. We're still in negotiations with the client but I'm itching to get started. Will maybe also start an engineering blog.
- Find the motivation to commit to taking driving lessons to finally obtain my driving license.
- Apply to more universities. I'll have to take the SATs to apply for universities in the US, so applying for them would be a good first step.
Excited to see what March has in store for me.